Root beer

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
mario92

Root beer

Post by mario92 »

Hello all, is drinking root beer considered breaking 5th precept? I considered for a long time root beer to be like a soda, and i didnt feel the alcohol feeling like other fermented drinks. It was even my favourite drink along with cocacola light. But i researched a little bit and it contains a tiny amount of alcohol and is considered a drink made with fermented root, and other ingredients. What is your opinion?
BKh

Re: Root beer

Post by BKh »

Where are you finding root beer with alcohol? Serious question. I've never seen that before. Same with ginger beer.

Looking at Wikipedia it seems that it is possible to make it alcoholic by adding yeast. Otherwise no alcohol. But of course you can make anything alcoholic by fermenting it with yeast.

In any case, if it contains alcohol, don't drink it. Not that complicated.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
santa100

Post by santa100 »

mario92 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:54 am Hello all, is drinking root beer considered breaking 5th precept? I considered for a long time root beer to be like a soda, and i didnt feel the alcohol feeling like other fermented drinks. It was even my favourite drink along with cocacola light. But i researched a little bit and it contains a tiny amount of alcohol and is considered a drink made with fermented root, and other ingredients. What is your opinion?
The History of Root Beer
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thank you Bkh and santa
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

BKh wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:44 am Where are you finding root beer with alcohol? Serious question. I've never seen that before. Same with ginger beer.

Looking at Wikipedia it seems that it is possible to make it alcoholic by adding yeast. Otherwise no alcohol. But of course you can make anything alcoholic by fermenting it with yeast.

Even 0.5% vol? A lot of non-alcoholic beers have that percentage.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
BKh

Post by BKh »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:58 pm Even 0.5% vol? A lot of non-alcoholic beers have that percentage.
From what I read, regarding the OP's question, either root beer is manufactured to be alcoholic intentionally or it's not. Therefore, if it contains alcohol don't drink it.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:58 pm
BKh wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:44 am Where are you finding root beer with alcohol? Serious question. I've never seen that before. Same with ginger beer.

Hello Ceisiwr does A & W root beer brand has that percentage of alcohol? i couldnt find enough information about this brand.
bodom

Post by bodom »

mario92 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:50 pm

Hello Ceisiwr does A & W root beer brand has that percentage of alcohol? i couldnt find enough information about this brand.
A&W is a popular brand of root beer here in America and I've never seen it with alcohol.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I like root beer and I've never seen any brand marked as having alcohol in it at all. It rose in popularity here during prohibition so the entire idea was it was free of alcohol.

The only beverage with substantial alcohol and very poor notice on labels is I have noticed is kombucha. Sometimes as much alcohol as beer.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thank you all :anjali:
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

BKh wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:46 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:58 pm Even 0.5% vol? A lot of non-alcoholic beers have that percentage.
From what I read, regarding the OP's question, either root beer is manufactured to be alcoholic intentionally or it's not. Therefore, if it contains alcohol don't drink it.
I take it from this then that for you Bhante even if a drink contains 0.5% alcohol, which isn’t going to do anything, it still shouldn’t be drunk?
BKh

Post by BKh »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:16 am
I take it from this then that for you Bhante even if a drink contains 0.5% alcohol, which isn’t going to do anything, it still shouldn’t be drunk?
Let me say it again:
BKh wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:46 pm From what I read, regarding the OP's question, either root beer is manufactured to be alcoholic intentionally or it's not. Therefore, if it contains alcohol don't drink it.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

BKh wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:57 am
Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:16 am
Let me say it again:
BKh wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:46 pm From what I read, regarding the OP's question, either root beer is manufactured to be alcoholic intentionally or it's not. Therefore, if it contains alcohol don't drink it.
So for you even if it’s 0.5% it shouldn’t be drunk. Thank you. You could have just said “yes”, but here we are.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

mario92 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:50 pm

I don’t know sorry. My question was just a general one.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:16 am I take it from this then that for you Bhante even if a drink contains 0.5% alcohol, which isn’t going to do anything, it still shouldn’t be drunk?
0.5% beer has a noticeable effect for me. I drank some some time ago, thinking it was 0%... :rolleye:

Mike