What post-canonical Theravada literature has changed/impressed your life the most?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
skandha

Re: What post-canonical Theravada literature has changed/impressed your life the most?

Post by skandha »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:11 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:10 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:09 pm

Yes it is, but the Abhidhamma he was knowledgable of was the Pudgalavada one not the Theravadin or Vaibasikha one.
he is having right view so a real buddhist arhant ...
We aren’t even discussing that, although I think Nagarjuna was more likely aiming to be a Bodhisattva and future Buddha than an Arahant given his Mahayana outlook.
A tangent from the discussion, but I will like to add that there are writings of Nagarjuna where he aspires to the Western Pure Land of Amitabha, so yes he is on the Bodhisattva path. In Chinese Buddhism he is known as the "Dragon Tree Bodhisattva".
A true master of knowledge has passed beyond all that is known and become dispassionate towards all vedanās.
- Sn 529
skandha

Re: What post-canonical Theravada literature has changed/impressed your life the most?

Post by skandha »

Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond - Ajahn Brahm
A true master of knowledge has passed beyond all that is known and become dispassionate towards all vedanās.
- Sn 529
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Various Theravada monks and lay deciples have spoken of the beat (1958) novel The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac, Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind (1970) by Shunryu Suzuki and Be Here Now (1971) by Ram Dass as being early formative inspirations. As previously mentioned, Stillness Flowing by Ajahn Jayasaro is worth reading. Anything by the encyclopaedic mind of the Venerable Ledi Sayadaw, for example The Eightfold Noble Path and its Factors Explained, The Manual of Insight, Anapana Dipani, …
Joe.c

Post by Joe.c »

Ledi Sayadaw, for example The Eightfold Noble Path and its Factors Explained,
Interesting. Just finish reading it. Very different understanding from Sutta. Many explanation about kamma concept that never being explained by Buddha.
Book wrote:Three kinds of right view …
But we can see Buddha explained differently. On MN 117, there are only 2. While on SN 45.8, it is only 1 (4NT). The kamma part is mainly lower teaching.
book wrote:Oppression by kamma-formations (saṅkhārā)
I never seen Buddha talked about this way. His teaching is always about the present what can be done Here and Now. Not dwell too much about the past since It is past. Past can’t be changed.
book wrote:Right Effort. This path-factor is analysed into four components. The first two deal with unwholesome volitional actions (kamma)…
This also never been explained by Buddha. Right effort (samma vayama) is mainly involving purifying the mind part which involve samma sati/samadhi + Samma ditthi with support from sila visuddhi. There is no kamma explanation in there. See MN 117.
book wrote:The twenty-five meditation subjects (kammaṭṭhāna) for attaining the first jhāna are:
This also never explained by Buddha. Typical formula for samma samadhi is (after perfecting precepts and have right view).
DN 2 wrote:….Seeing that the hindrances have been given up in them, joy springs up. Being joyful, rapture springs up. When the mind is full of rapture, the body becomes tranquil. When the body is tranquil, they feel bliss. And when blissful, the mind becomes samadhi (balance state).

Quite detached from sensual pleasures, detached from unskillful qualities, they enter and remain in the first jhana..
book wrote:When this set of precepts has been taken, it remains in force until it is broken
This may lead to silabbataparamasa by blindly taking precepts.

The precepts that Buddha taught is different because the precepts are done by one who took with understanding (panna) and constantly reflection before/during/after the action, not by blindly follow or recitation. See SN 55.7 or MN 61.

Interesting indeed. Look like the path is very very fragmented instead of 1 full complete set that support one another.

Better go back to true teacher, Buddha that is. Good luck.
May you be relax, happy, comfortable and free of dukkhas from hearing true dhamma.
May you gain unshakable confidence in Buddha, Dhamma and (Ariya) Sangha.
Learn about Buddha/Dhamma Characters.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Quantum Foam wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:11 pm As the title suggests, what literature, Dhamma talks, books, texts left a deep impression on you that you would recommend to this day to anyone who is NOT from the Pali canon but is still from the Theravada tradition, preferably something from the 20th and 21st century. I'm very excited.
Easily "The Mind Stilled" aka "The Nibbana Sermons" by ven. Nanananda.

Honourable mention also to Nanavira Thera's "Clearing The Path", aka "Notes" and "Letters".

Both can be read on-line for free.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:11 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:10 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:09 pm

Yes it is, but the Abhidhamma he was knowledgable of was the Pudgalavada one not the Theravadin or Vaibasikha one.
he is having right view so a real buddhist arhant ...
We aren’t even discussing that, although I think Nagarjuna was more likely aiming to be a Bodhisattva and future Buddha than an Arahant given his Mahayana outlook.
i say he is already enlightened from my view
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Joe.c wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:02 am
Good Lord man have a day off.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
befriend

Post by befriend »

The first time I read the sound of silence by Ajahn sumedho I didn't understand it until I started meditating with relaxed attention now it's a treat.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Joe.c

Post by Joe.c »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:44 am Good Lord man have a day off.
Thanks. May you be happy. Again my message is not for you.
May you be relax, happy, comfortable and free of dukkhas from hearing true dhamma.
May you gain unshakable confidence in Buddha, Dhamma and (Ariya) Sangha.
Learn about Buddha/Dhamma Characters.