What post-canonical Theravada literature has changed/impressed your life the most?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Quantum Foam

What post-canonical Theravada literature has changed/impressed your life the most?

Post by Quantum Foam »

As the title suggests, what literature, Dhamma talks, books, texts left a deep impression on you that you would recommend to this day to anyone who is NOT from the Pali canon but is still from the Theravada tradition, preferably something from the 20th and 21st century. I'm very excited.
Ontheway

Re: What post-canonical Theravada literature has changed/impressed your life the most?

Post by Ontheway »

Abhidhammattha Sangaha
Mahavamsa

Not of recent times...

If recent books, that would be Paticca-samuppada by Ven. Piyadassi Thera, What Buddhists Believe by Ven. K Sri Dhammananda Mahathera.
Last edited by Ontheway on Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: What post-canonical Theravada literature has changed/impressed your life the most?

Post by Sam Vara »

Stillness Flowing, the biography of Ajahn Chah by Ajahn Jayasaro.

And indeed anything by Jayasaro himself. We are lucky here on DW that sequeller regularly posts his "Yellow Page Teachings".
sakyan

Post by sakyan »

Autobiographies/Biographies of Thai Ajahns and Sayadaws
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:22 pm Living Buddhist Masters — Jack Kornfield
I agree, an inspiring read.

Recently reprinted as "Living Dharma: Teachings of Twelve Buddhist Masters" as most of them are no longer living.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

visudhimagga and nagarjuna middle way verse.. both are crucial ..
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:41 pm visudhimagga and nagarjuna middle way verse.. both are crucial ..
Nagarjuna wasn’t from the Theravadin tradition. He was from a Pudgalavada and Mahayana one. His disciple Aryadeva however was.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Quantum Foam wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:11 pm As the title suggests, what literature, Dhamma talks, books, texts left a deep impression on you that you would recommend to this day to anyone who is NOT from the Pali canon but is still from the Theravada tradition, preferably something from the 20th and 21st century. I'm very excited.
Many different authors have contributed in many different ways. Sujato stands out though for his books “Sects and Sectarianism”, which gave me a better understanding of early Buddhist history and the various traditions, and “A History of Mindfulness” for helping to understand satipatthana. Mostly though these days I lead less from modern authors and more from ancient ones.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:56 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:41 pm visudhimagga and nagarjuna middle way verse.. both are crucial ..
Nagarjuna wasn’t from the Theravadin tradition. He was from a Pudgalavada and Mahayana one. His disciple Aryadeva however was.
thats your or some historians personal opinion i think
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:48 pm
Nagarjuna simply wasn’t from the Theravadin tradition. In his work he has a knowledge of things from the Pudgalavada tradition, which includes dhammas existing in the 3 times (a view they shared with the Sarvastivadins proper). Aryadeva was from Sri Lanka though, probably from the Abhayagiri vihara initially, and so originally Theravadin with a dash of Mahayana.
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:07 pm

Nagarjuna simply wasn’t from the Theravadin tradition. In his work he has a knowledge of things from the Pudgalavada tradition, which includes dhammas existing in the 3 times. Aryadeva was from Sri Lanka though, probably from the Abhayagiri vihara initially, and so originally Theravadin.
nagarjuna teaching is different from dhamma existing 3 times
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:08 pm

Nagarjuna simply wasn’t from the Theravadin tradition. In his work he has a knowledge of things from the Pudgalavada tradition, which includes dhammas existing in the 3 times. Aryadeva was from Sri Lanka though, probably from the Abhayagiri vihara initially, and so originally Theravadin.
Yes it is, but the Abhidhamma he was knowledgable of was the Pudgalavada one not the Theravadin or Vaibhasika one.
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:09 pm

Yes it is, but the Abhidhamma he was knowledgable of was the Pudgalavada one not the Theravadin or Vaibasikha one.
he is having right view so a real buddhist arhant ...
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:10 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:09 pm
Yes it is, but the Abhidhamma he was knowledgable of was the Pudgalavada one not the Theravadin or Vaibasikha one.
he is having right view so a real buddhist arhant ...
We aren’t even discussing that, although I think Nagarjuna was more likely aiming to be a Bodhisattva and future Buddha than an Arahant given his Mahayana outlook.