what is your opinion on Euthanasia?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Alex123

what is your opinion on Euthanasia?

Post by Alex123 »

Hello all,

What is your opinion on Euthanasia?

Personally, if I were placed in a coma and without any reasonable chance of emerging from it, or if I would be mentally incapacitated if I did emerge, I
would prefer if I would be switched off life support and euthanized. If I were in severe and mind altering pain so much so I couldn't practice, I would prefer
to be euthanized.

What about you?

With metta,

Alex
Cloud

Re: what is your opinion on Euthanasia?

Post by Cloud »

I would prefer not to leave my family with a larger medical bill than necessary. We all die, and I've made my peace with death. One who sees clearly knows that truly there is neither birth nor death, thus the unborn and deathless reality. We all share this reality, but do not all accept it.

Namaste
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Assuming we're talking about voluntary euthanasia, I think it ought to be for the individual to decide.

I'm uncomfortable with laws and/or the enforcement of religious beliefs upon others which deny them the right to die.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Assuming we're talking about voluntary euthanasia, I think it ought to be for the individual to decide.

I'm uncomfortable with laws and/or the enforcement of religious beliefs upon others which deny them the right to die.

Metta,
Hello Retro,

But who would kill the ill patient? When it only involves the patient, I have nothing against it. When the patient has to ask someone else to kill him, that, I'm against.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

Modus.Ponens wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Metta,
Hello Retro,

But who would kill the ill patient? When it only involves the patient, I have nothing against it. When the patient has to ask someone else to kill him, that, I'm against.
This is where it can get tricky.My own views on euthanasia are neither here nor there,but the question about asking someone to do the killing is another story.
Personally I see this as unskillful.However I am also coming from a monks pov and I realise that some things are more black and white from that angle.
With metta
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Digger

Post by Digger »

Here is a link to a section of the Pali Canon where a very sick monk named Channa takes his own life:

http://www.buddhism.org/Sutras/Agama/Sa ... aggo-e.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He is different. He thinks.
Rui Sousa

Post by Rui Sousa »

Digger wrote:Here is a link to a section of the Pali Canon where a very sick monk named Channa takes his own life:

http://www.buddhism.org/Sutras/Agama/Sa ... aggo-e.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very interesting, thank you for the link.
With Metta
Jason

Post by Jason »

Alex123 wrote:Hello all,

What is your opinion on Euthanasia?

Personally, if I were placed in a coma and without any reasonable chance of emerging from it, or if I would be mentally incapacitated if I did emerge, I
would prefer if I would be switched off life support and euthanized. If I were in severe and mind altering pain so much so I couldn't practice, I would prefer
to be euthanized.

What about you?

With metta,

Alex
I don't have anything against it as long as the person in question has given their prior consent and/or is being assisted in their decision to end their own life (you can find more of my thoughts about it here). As for myself, I think I'd prefer it to the above two situation as well.
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
cooran

Post by cooran »

At most hospitals here, a person who is terminally ill and in great pain will be given as much morphine (say) as is needed to control the pain.

The patient and relatives may be told that the amount given ‘could’ cause death. But the actual intention is not to cause death, but to ease the patient.

I discussed this with my Ajahn , and he said that is in line with the Buddha’s teachings. Even though the dose meant only to relieve pain has to be high enough and could kill, the intention is definitely not to do that.

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Skaffen

Post by Skaffen »

cooran wrote:At most hospitals here, a person who is terminally ill and in great pain will be given as much morphine (say) as is needed to control the pain.

The patient and relatives may be told that the amount given ‘could’ cause death. But the actual intention is not to cause death, but to ease the patient.

I discussed this with my Ajahn , and he said that is in line with the Buddha’s teachings. Even though the dose meant only to relieve pain has to be high enough and could kill, the intention is definitely not to do that.

With metta
Chris
My friends Dad got a 'Morphine Driver' to help him on his way (had been bad for a long time) - quite deliberate action as my friend was of course consulted.

I think I could forsake my sense of guilt to help someone in such a position, certainly wouldn't have any of my family go through terminal, protracted pain if they had enough...wouldn't give a fuk about societies moral yardstick.
Digger

Post by Digger »

My 96 year old grandmother was in hospice with terminal cancer. Plenty of morphine, she was actually joking around and laughing. One of the last things she said to me was "I wish I would just hurry up and die already". Morphine can be a good thing.
He is different. He thinks.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

cooran wrote:At most hospitals here, a person who is terminally ill and in great pain will be given as much morphine (say) as is needed to control the pain.

With metta
Chris
Yes.

My father was accused of breeding "addicts" by giving enough opiates. As if they would survive to prostitute themselves for a quick fix....
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

My mother was supposed to be put into an artificial coma....but it never got that far...she passed away before that.

If a coma is possible, and it is, what do you need euthanasy for...
son of dhamma

Post by son of dhamma »

The Sutta Pitaka establishes quite clearly what the Buddha said about suicide, and self-destruction concerning physical health and terminal illness.
*If there is no attachment to life, if there is no lust for material or immaterial existence, then there is Arahantship and abandoning the body is only righteous. This is depicted in several stories in the nikayas of the Sutta Pitaka. Self-destruction of this manner is also acceptable in the situation of terminal or an exhaustive illness that brings hardship to other people--rather than burdening them (money, taking energy, extended emotional stress), then one may abandon his body with detachment and without blame.
with metta
Sometimes no Buddhas arise in the world. Sometimes they do. When it happens, it is for the welfare and happiness of men, out of compassion for all creatures. For a long, long time he has been working to become a Buddha. He met other Buddhas along the way. And after his long striving he attains his final life, yet not without showing everyone else how to get there.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

I have given some consideration to the problem of euthanasia. My mum for example if ever put into a situation where life support is the only thing keeping her alive and the hope of a recovery is nil, she would rather have the plug pulled. I've told her I'm not sure if I could do that - I'm not sure whether it would constitute matricide in the kammic sense, I would appreciate others input here.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks