Dhamma propagation - most effective form?

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
Deadelectronics

Re: Dhamma propagation - most effective form?

Post by Deadelectronics »

What about through music?
Joy at last to know there is no happiness in the world!
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Deadelectronics wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:13 am What about through music?
I think it would be less effective, as music tends to be associated with mental pleasure and distraction within Theravada.
User13866

Post by User13866 »

Becoming an anagami and doing neuroscientific testing to prove it or better yet a cetovimutti arahant with magical powers
Deadelectronics

Post by Deadelectronics »

Sam Vara wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:56 am
I think it would be less effective, as music tends to be associated with mental pleasure and distraction within Theravada.
What about genres like Shoegaze, IDM and Ambient music? These genres tend to be atmospheric and relaxing. I'm sure there's a portion of people that become interested in meditation which can lead to an interest in Buddhism. I know personal practice will always be #1.
Joy at last to know there is no happiness in the world!
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Deadelectronics wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:01 am
Sam Vara wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:56 am
What about genres like Shoegaze, IDM and Ambient music? These genres tend to be atmospheric and relaxing. I'm sure there's a portion of people that become interested in meditation which can lead to an interest in Buddhism. I know personal practice will always be #1.
Sure, they may have some merit, but the problem is that people will get lost in atmosphere and relaxation. Personally, I might like a piece of music but not have the wisdom to know whether it helps me or not. In terms of meditation, it is not being secluded from sense-pleasures.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Follow the guidance of the Buddhas chief lay disciple. Hatthaka of Ālavī. He used four bases of sympathy to gather a following.

1) giving gifts
2) speaking with kindly words
3) doing kindly deeds
4) treating people with equality
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta