Looking for sariputta sutta

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ceisiwr

Looking for sariputta sutta

Post by Ceisiwr »

I cant find the Sutta where The Buddha asked if sariputta believed a certain teaching and he said he did not because he had not experienced it himself yet?

Does anyone know which one this is?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Dhammanando

Re: Looking for sariputta sutta

Post by Dhammanando »

clw_uk wrote:I cant find the Sutta where The Buddha asked if sariputta believed a certain teaching and he said he did not because he had not experienced it himself yet?

You're probably thinking of the Pubbakoṭṭhaka Sutta (SN. v. 220-2), though your paraphrase is not an accurate one.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Thank you Bhante for the link however i dont think thats the one, perhaps im confusing sariputta with someone else

Is there a sutta at all where the Buddha urges someone not to believe him just because he has said it? (accept the kalama sutta)
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Craig,
clw_uk wrote:Thank you Bhante for the link however i dont think thats the one, perhaps im confusing sariputta with someone else

Is there a sutta at all where the Buddha urges someone not to believe him just because he has said it? (accept the kalama sutta)
I can't think of one. In fact the only one that comes to mind says almost exactly the opposite of this. :smile:
  • Bhikkhus, for a faithful disciple who is intent on fathoming the Teacher’s dispensation, it is fitting that he conduct himself thus: “The Blessed One is the Teacher; I am his disciple. The Blessed One knows; I do not know.”
    (Kīṭāgiri Sutta, MN. 70)
Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

An Excellent Man is Not Credulous

The man who is not credulous, who knows the uncreate,
who has cut off rebirth, who has destroyed all results,
and expelled all desires, he is truly an excellent man. (Dhp v 97)

Or maybe you're thinking of the Venerable Sāriputta's Lion's Roar in the Mahāparnibbāna Sutta, expanded in full in the Sampasādaniya Sutta of the Dighanikāya.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Ive found where i read a passage in relation to what im searching for

The Buddha said that those who simply believe others are not truly wise. A wise person practices until he is one with the Dhamma, until he can have confidence in himself, independent of others.

On one occasion, while Venerable Sāriputta was sitting, listening respectfully at his feet as the Buddha expounded the Dhamma, the Buddha turned to him and asked,

''Sāriputta, do you believe this teaching?''

Venerable Sāriputta replied, ''No, I don't yet believe it.''

Now this is a good illustration. Venerable Sāriputta listened, and he took note. When he said he didn't yet believe he wasn't being careless, he was speaking the truth. He simply took note of that teaching, because he had not yet developed his own understanding of it, so he told the Buddha that he didn't yet believe - because he really didn't believe. These words almost sound as if Venerable Sāriputta was being rude, but actually he wasn't. He spoke the truth, and the Buddha praised him for it.

''Good, good, Sāriputta. A wise person doesn't readily believe, he should consider first before believing.''

http://www.amaravati.org/abmnew/index.p ... ticle/436/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where does this passage come from in the suttas?

Metta
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

The Buddha once asked Sariputta, "Do you believe what I have been explaining to you?" Sariputta answered, "Yes, I see that it is so." The Buddha asked him, "Are you saying this just out of faith in me?" Sariputta answered, "No, I answered in agreement not because of faith in the Blessed One, but because I clearly see for myself that it is so." [Pubbakotthaka Sutta, Saim. S.V. 220]

The Role of Faith in
Science and Buddhism
Bhikkhu P.A. Payutto
http://www.buddhismtoday.com/english/sc ... 6-role.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks Ven Gavesako,

The same story appears in one of Ajahn Chah's talks: http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Living_in_World_with.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; He may have used a poor translation, or conflated a couple of Suttas.

Metta
Mike
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Craig,
clw_uk wrote:Ive found where i read a passage in relation to what im searching for
Now that you've quoted it, I recall there was a discussion of this Ajahn Chah quote at E-sangha. The ajahn has simply given an inaccurate paraphrase of Sariputta's reply.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Dhammanando wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:38 am The ajahn has simply given an inaccurate paraphrase of Sariputta's reply.
What Venerable Sariputta says is that,
since he has already known and seen, he don't rely on faith in the Buddha’s claim below.
(He don't need to rely on faith because he has already realized it.)
Pubbakoṭṭhakasutta

“Sāriputta, do you have faith that the faculties of faith, energy, mindfulness, immersion, and wisdom, when developed and cultivated, culminate, finish, and end in the deathless?”

“Sir, in this case I don’t rely on faith in the Buddha’s claim that the faculties of faith, energy, mindfulness, immersion, and wisdom, when developed and cultivated, culminate, finish, and end in the deathless. There are those who have not known or seen or understood or realized or experienced this with wisdom. They may rely on faith in this matter. But there are those who have known, seen, understood, realized, and experienced this with wisdom. They have no doubts or uncertainties in this matter. I have known, seen, understood, realized, and experienced this with wisdom. I have no doubts or uncertainties that the faculties of faith, energy, mindfulness, immersion, and wisdom, when developed and cultivated, culminate, finish, and end in the deathless.”

“Good, good, Sāriputta! There are those who have not known or seen or understood or realized or experienced this with wisdom. They may rely on faith in this matter. But there are those who have known, seen, understood, realized, and experienced this with wisdom. They have no doubts or uncertainties that the faculties of faith, energy, mindfulness, immersion, and wisdom, when developed and cultivated, culminate, finish, and end in the deathless.”
Dhammanando wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:45 am In fact the only one that comes to mind says almost exactly the opposite of this.
  • Bhikkhus, for a faithful disciple who is intent on fathoming the Teacher’s dispensation, it is fitting that he conduct himself thus: “The Blessed One is the Teacher; I am his disciple. The Blessed One knows; I do not know.”
    (Kīṭāgiri Sutta, MN. 70)
Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:32 am I cant find the Sutta where The Buddha asked if sariputta believed a certain teaching and he said he did not because he had not experienced it himself yet?

He is not wrong this Sutta exist absolutely. If I can find it, I will share.